Vilcabamba is also commonly known as the ‘Lost City‘ of the Incas, however the modern name is ‘Espiritu Pampa‘ – which means ‘Plain of the Spirit‘.
Dating back to 1532-1572, this historic site was believed to be the last refuge & resistance of the Incan empire before it fell to the Spanish Invasion in 1572. Long afterwards the site was abandoned until being rediscovered in the 20th Century by Hiram Bingham, in 1911, with the help of local Peruvian guides.
Having won the battle of Ollantaytambo against the Spaniards in 1537, and under increasing pressure from further invasions by the Spanish, Manco Inca retreated from Ollantaytambo to Vitcos; and then finally to Vilcabamba.
Manco Inca brought together all those of the royal blood he could find; men and women alike, and retired to the wild forest of the Antis; to a place called Villcapampa where he lived in exile and solitude as one can imagine a dispossessed and disinherited prince would live. Until one day he was slain by a Spaniard whom he had sheltered and protected from enemies who had sought his death.